Saturday 22 October 2016

Sungkyunkwan Scandal VS Moonlight Drawn by Clouds

Sungkyunkwan Scandal and Moonlight Drawn by Clouds are similar in many ways. They're both sageuks (a Korean term meaning a historical costume drama), set in Joseon, and feature a female lead who cross dresses as a boy. Both were incredibly popular and set high standards for the future, but which one did I prefer? Which was best?

Image result for yoo ah in song joong kiLet's start with Sungkyunkwan Scandal, since that came first anyway. This drama came out in 2010 and focused on the newest set of scholars to enter the prestigious Sungkyunkwan University, one of whom is a girl in disguise. It starred Park Min-young as the girl in question, who had always felt limited by her options as a girl and wished to pursue knowledge, and Park Yoochun as her righteous yet insufferable roommate. In addition, Song Joong-ki and Yoo Ah-in play the upperclassmen who support them as they grow.
  I was happy for this to be my first sageuk. Rather than a show so heavy with history I couldn't follow, Sungkyunkwan Scandal was fun and bubbly with enough tension to keep my addiction fuelled. I raced through most of the episodes.
  However, I began to notice more problems as I wandered into the second half of the show. The writing became weaker. The once uplifting and interesting story was weighed down by more serious story lines I couldn't be invested in, and the (although adorable) romance wasn't so squeal-worthy for me once the pressure was off. The way it was handled let me down. Furthermore, the ending was painfully weak - happy, but weak. It introduced more questions than it answered. It felt like I'd become progressively unenthusiastic whilst watching Sungkyunkwan Scandal, and the last few episodes I just stayed for out of loyalty. But do not get me wrong, I would still recommend this. It wasn't by any means a bad show, but Sungkyunkwan Scandal just couldn't live up to the dramatically high standards it had set for itself earlier in it's run.


Image result for moonlight drawn by clouds
On the other hand, Moonlight Drawn By Clouds finished airing this week. The drama was based off a hit novel series and was based around the life of real prince Yi Yeong. I initially wasn't pulled in, but once I was there was no breaking free. Rising star Park Bo-gum (who was on my radar after heart warming performances in I Remember You and Reply 1988) played the crown prince Yeong, a rebellious young man but who cares deeply for each and every one of his subjects. Meanwhile, Kim Yoo-jung - a child actress who has recently broken into leading roles - plays a woman who dresses as a boy in order to protect herself. She and the prince have a rocky first meeting, but when she is forced to enter the palace as an eunuch to pay off debt the two become fast friends. Meanwhile, the Prime Minister plans to overthrow the King, and members of a secret society resurface to plan another rebellion for the people.
  This was all set to overtake Sungkyunkwan Scandal in my mind. For one thing, the romance was better by leaps and bonds. No matter whether the scene supposed to be cute or thoughtful, the actors sold it to me. The two of them had fantastic chemistry on and off screen. The show managed to remain sweet whilst also heartfelt, something Sungkyunkwan Scandal couldn't always manage. I was impressed by the balance. Every moment was beautifully shot and beautifully written, the team behind Moonlight Drawn by Clouds even turned down an extension offer so they could maintain this quality.
  I just have one problem; towards the end there was a massive change in tone. Due to the content of the story (I'm trying not to spoil things, truly) the romance had to take the backseat for a while. This meant there was nothing to provide relief from the darker side of the plot, and for me it was a little too much to handle without some happiness. It made me realise but how much this show had changed from the first episode. Although I say this, Moonlight Drawn by Clouds won me back over with a thoroughly satisfying ending.

To conclude, both shows had their strengths, and both their weaknesses - therefore, I can happily tell you to watch both of them. Although my favourite was probably Moonlight Drawn by Clouds due to my undying love for Park Bo-gum, I can't deny that Sungyunkwan Scandal offered things that it didn't and I don't regret watching it. Both drama were armed with excellent acting talent and interesting premises. Although they both suffered small dips in their writing, I can still say I wholeheartedly enjoyed them (plus, their was enough epic bromance in each show to soften the blow a little). Neither of these shows massively overpowers the other, so I suggest you decide for yourself which is better.
  For a twist on a typical sageuk where time travel is involved, I recommend mini-series Splish Splash Love. Like in Moonlight Drawn by Clouds, the female lead becomes an eunuch. For another story featuring a crafty scholar, watch epic romance Queen In-hyun's Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment