Friday 8 September 2017

Chicago Typewriter

I think a review of fantasy-romance drama Chicago Typewriter is long over-due. Because of conflicting feelings (and being astounded beyond words by the ending), I wasn't sure how to write about it at first, but I think I have my words together now.

A traumatising scandal gives famous and acclaimed writer Han Se-joo a severe case of writer's block. But the arrival of mysterious ghostwriter Yoo Jin-oh may save him. It could even unblock something more dangerous, memories of someone in 1930s Kyungsung, fighting for independance in a time where the Japanese occuppied  Korea.

Now, Chicago Typewriter is hardly the first show to handle reincarnation - Rooftop Prince, and most recently Legend of the Blue Sea  are a few examples - but I think don't think it's a trope I've ever seen handled with so much beautiful poignancy and bitter-sweetness. By setting the past in the 1930s, during the time of the occupation in Japan, the story is grounded, and as far as I can tell the tragic back story is considered unanimously what the show should have had more of. I can't say I wasn't satisfied with how the story in the past concluded.
  A problem I had with Chicago Typewriter nearer the beginning of the drama was that I didn't quite know how to feel about the characters. Rather, I wasn't sure what the show was trying to do with Se-joo and Seol. Se-joo seemed to initially suffer violent mood swings, which made him hard to like, although he settled into his personality. I don't even know how to pinpoint why I was always neutral to Seol - her sunny attitude annoyed me at first, but I guess she just never seemed to be all that special. At the very least, her past live was badass. I don;t think I'll ever forget that girl's fierce loyalty and ultimate sacrifice. 
  The cast was what I was most looking forward to, and I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. I totally understand why Im Soo-jung, who hasn't acted in a drama since 2005, chose this as her come back project. I knew Yoo Ah-in would be able to nail both the comedic and melodramatic halves of the plot perfectly, but the pleasant surprise was that the highlight of the drama was lovable ghosty Go Kyung-pyo. I've already spoiled too much, so I won;t elaborate, but I'll just say I'm glad this was the project to elevate him into leading man territory.
  The sheer number of revelations in the last two episodes shocked me and stole my heart, I was undoubtedly more gripped than I'd been at any other time in the show's run. I loved the sweet and comedic present story line, but uncovering the brutal truth about why the characters had been born again into these happy lives was like a (wonderful) punch in the stomach. The premise of reincarnation and past-life memories re-emerging is set up in a standard way, but the way these questions are handled and concluded is where the charm of Chicago Typewriter lies. 

Chicago Typewriter proved to be something amazing - it's a heartfelt salute to freedom fighters, and will sweep you up with the slick direction and melancholy soundtrack. I can't recommend this to emotional types, because I cried buckets, but the heartbreak was ultimately so worth it. If you're brave enough, give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment