Wednesday 8 November 2017

5 Comedic Sidekicks Who Need More Attention

Sometimes I think about how much potential certain actors have, but because of their age or face they're sidelined to the comic relief roles. Idols who can't act get lead roles all the time, so why are people with real talent always undermined? Here are a few actors who have at least tasted such a role, because I want more from them.

Lee Yi-kyung
Now that Lee Yi-kyung is starting to make a name for himself, I 'm wondering if he's anywhere near as good at melo as he is in comedy. His character in Go Back Couple is hilarious, but I've seen little peaks that may hint he can be more than that. For example, in drama special Bride in Sneakers he played such a desperate, pathetic character. It was intriguing. That, or he'd be good in a role like his one in Nine, where he was the younger version of the lead's faithful best friend. If he could carry the emotional weight his older counterpart did, then I'm sure he'd make an impression.

Lee Shi-un
He's been in the industry for a while, and yet Lee Shi-un rarely gets to do anything interesting. Aside from a supporting role in Reply 1997, his roles have mostly been minor. However, his role in W showed that even if his role is minor, Lee Shi-un still has the capability to make that role memorable. What would be really interesting would be to see him in a villain role, because literally no-one would see it coming - it's probably happened already, but he keeps himself so busy I haven't had a chance to see all his projects.

Kang Ki-young
I didn't think Kang Ki-young was all that great until very recently - he took a turn from his usual comedic fodder in a cameo for While You Were Sleeping, where he played a man who murdered his brother. I was blown away. I never would have realized he had the acting capacity for a role like that. I need to see more of that. He's played plenty of sweet or funny roles - the ones the stood out the most probably being cowardly ghost-hunter in Let's Fight, Ghost and the lovesick uncle in Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo - but now that I've seen him in something meaty I don't want him to go back!

Lee Dong-hwi
Image result for lee dong hwi dramaThis is definitely one that crept up on me. I was introduced to Lee Dong-hwi through Reply 1988, where he played one of the five childhood friends who we watched grow up. His role did more justice then some of the others I've mentioned; although he mostly worked the comic relief, he also had a small but sweet story of his own. Yet, it wasn't until Radiant Office where I realised that Lee Dong-hwi's talent definitely lies in tragedy. It wasn't enough that he was a desperate job-seeker, but on top of that he was dumped by the girl he adored for selfish reasons, and promptly 'diagnosed' with a terminal disease. It hurt so good.

Ye Ji-won
Related imageThis woman deserves all the love in the world. Although totally capable of serious roles, like the overbearing Mum she played in Page Turner, she often plays bizarre comedic roles, like the weird office lady in Producers. Yet the role she shined best in was Do-kyung's older sister in Another Oh Hae-young where she was a little of both;  french-speaking miserable drunk who ends up pregnant after a one-night stand and hopelessly in love with the young father. She's one of my favourite characters in drama now. The injustice is that I don't think I'll ever see another role that good again from Ye Ji-won - she was non-existent in Introverted Boss, and equally unnecessary in This Week My Wife is Having an Affair. One can only hope for better in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment